I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Friendships That Last!



Hi Y'all,

It’s Alena Tauriainen and I wanted to talk a little about friendship.

Specifically David and Jonathan.

Have you read the story? You can check it out in 1 Samuel: 18-20.

King Saul was very jealous of David, a mere servant. Saul wanted him to die.

Jonathan was King Saul's son and befriended David. When Jonathan realized his father meant to harm David, he chose to do what was right and help protect David.

Let’s think this friendship through:

Jonathan.
He was the king's son with all of the power, wealth and authority that came with that position.
He was next in line to be the king -- as well as his sons after him.

Now let’s look at David.

A shepherd boy.

When the prophet went to the house of Jesse to anoint the next king, David wasn’t even considered at first! He was the lowest guy on the totem pole. Even his family thought so.

Jonathan puts his future on the line to save his friend. Amazing.

No doubt about it. He saved David’s life one day in the field, when he told David to run away from his father's rage.

Here's another interesting fact: Ultimately Jesus came through the line of David.

Where would we be if Jonathan and David weren’t friends? If Jonathan hadn’t risked his own future for David? We are still reaping the benefits of that friendship many, many generations later.

My friend Julie was a great co-worker. That’s what earned my respect for her and made me listen when she spoke and why I agreed to go with her when she invited me to her church. The day I went, I met my Savior.

I’ve lived for God more than half my life and have raised four children to love and witness to others about our amazing God.

Julie’s friendship has affected the next several generations of my family.

Your friendships matters. Your friendships make a difference in others' lives too -- sometimes for generations to come. Can you see it? How have your friends influenced you?

Blessings,
Alena Tauriainen
Proverbs 3:5&5

10 comments:

  1. So thankful for this post and its report of the great influences of faithful friendship. I can't imagine the Ps w/o you, and thank God for the unending outgoing results of that friendship connection to and through your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I studied abroad in London, I made some amazingly good friends. The friendships developed so quickly and so strongly that we liked to joke we were a bunch of Davids and Jonathans who just happened to live an ocean apart. Gosh, I miss those guys. (The Brits, I mean...not David and Jonathan...they were a little, uh, before my time.)

    But yeah, friendships are such a vital part of life...I'm glad I get to count you among my friends, Alena. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Alena. You're right, friendships that last beyond seasons are those that tend to run the deepest. I love your thoughts about David and Jonathan. I bet neither of them knew when they first became friends how much that relationship would mean to them.

    God has given me some amazing friendships that have encouraged me to go beyond my comfort zone and become a better person. Hopefully, God has used me as a positive influence in the lives of some of my friends.

    Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies!

    My husband reminded me that one translation states they were "knit" together.

    1 Samuel 18:1
    And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.

    Beautiful picture of friendship isn't it?

    Blessings!
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends have enriched my life so much. Right now I'm thinking of all the friends I've met through Deep Thinkers. Ya'll have encouraged me, pushed me, sorrowed with me and laugh with me. Don't know what I'd do without you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. For years, I've prayed for David and Jonathan friendships for my sons. I waited for this to be answered outside of the family. But Daniel and Stephen are 19 months apart, then many years later, Joshua and Jamie were born 25 months apart. So, God has already answered that prayer.

    It's interesting to see the version where "knit" is used. During our long-distance relationship in the months before Steve and I were married, God knit our hearts together. Today, we're best friends!

    I'm thankful to all my Ponderer friends here. For those who don't know about us--our secret is how we pray for one another!

    Thanks for this post, and thanks to Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I have been blessed with special friends. One, Becky Dickens, has been my friend since my earliest memory. Neither one of us had a sister, so our mothers saw to it that we had the next best thing. The amazing part is that we now live within walking distance and often meet half way and go for long walks.

    Then there's Shelly Dippel who I haven't known for nearly as long, but we were such kindred spirits from the start.

    And my Ponderer friends who have stuck with me through thick and thin. Or as the Bible puts it, "A friend loveth at all times." That's the Ponderers, for sure!

    And best of all, we have the Friend who sticks closer than a brother! What a friend we have in Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post, Alena. I love the story of David and Jonathan, and I'm always bummed that Jonathan didn't get a longer one. But thanks to his help, David did.

    And you'll be my friend for life, especially after you found me one of those special root beer bottles at conference last year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would not even be close to where I am today without my friends. God never intended us to walk alone. People who walk alone have strange doctrines. We were made a body, not limbs.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't be the person I am today without my friendships. Some of those friends have lost touch, but the ones who remain are friends til the end. My friendships rank third on my list of importance--God, family, friends. I'm the kind of person who needs friends in my life to give sound wisdom. I have different categories of friends, too, but they're all so important.

    ReplyDelete