I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, August 26, 2011

Attitude Changes Everything

Last week, I really felt discouraged. No matter what I did, I could not string words together in an intelligible fashion. Frustrated and feeling like a failure, I decided to have a pity party. I went to lunch at a local hole-in-the wall cantina. I nabbed a table in the corner and began the mindless mantra of chips, salsa and Diet Pepsi.

Suddenly, a group of nine people entered the small restaurant. (Yes, I counted. They were very loud and crashing my pity party.)  The party crashers busied themselves pushing tables together, chairs screeching on the tile floor, all the while chattering and laughing. How dare they!

Then it happened. Ever have one of those moments when you get the wild desire to do something completely irrational and out of character? Yep, at that moment it happened to me. So, I did what any crazy person would do in my place: I snuck into their group and sat down at their table.

I don’t know why I did such a crazy thing. The you've-got-to-be-kidding-me thought popped into my mind and I acted on it. My new friends were discussing football and I jumped right in. We laughed, joked, high-fived each other and celebrated the victories of our favorite teams. About fifteen minutes after the meals were delivered, a female across the table looked at me with that confused puppy-dog face and said, “Excuse me, who are you?”

Busted! The gig was up. I laughed hysterically and confessed. I picked up their tab and thanked them for a really fun lunch. When I got back in my car, I realized my mulligrubs were gone. My crazy action and the fun I had pulling off the caper completely changed my attitude!

My new attitude completely altered my outlook. My plot or word count hadn’t changed during my adventure. But I changed. My outlook was lighter. Energized. The creativity flowed and I brainstormed ideas and ways I could change things.

As writers, we face times when we just can’t seem to make our writing work. Creativity—and productivity—grind to a halt. Our attitude tanks. But, you know what? Our attitude is the only thing we have complete control over! We choose how we feel. Not circumstance. Isn’t that great news?

What’s your attitude right now? Good? Bad? Fearful? What can you do to change your attitude?

Reba J. Hoffman

20 comments:

  1. Reebs, thanks. We want to copywrite you and each have a copy for our own homes and lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reba! What a fun and uplifting post! I'd love to have your spunk and crash a group like that! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reebs, thanks for the laugh. :) I love your chutzpah! I don't know if I could do that. How wonderful that your bold move also emboldened your attitude to move out of the PMS (Poor Me Syndrome) to a brighter outlook. Thanks for the reminder that we do control our attitudes! I'll remember that today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reba,
    You. Are. Crazy.
    But you are so right....my attitude is the Only thing I have contol of. Apt word.
    Blessings!
    Alena

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the best story ever, Reebs! You rock! And I'm so glad to know you...

    Is burnt-out an attitude? If so, that's where I'm at...at least in one particular area of my life. But I love the encouragement I receive from posts like this. Thanks, Reebs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was awesome! I laughed picturing the person on the end asking who you were. Great story and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Reba, you not only made my day, you made me miss you something awful!! Everyone needs a Reba in their life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reba,
    I am so glad the Ponderers have dibs on you!
    My attitude is great! I just got off the phone with Ponderer Dee. Spending time with friends always brightens my outlook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dee wouldn't it be great if we could do things like that? We could all have one of you also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Patricia. You know, I think you do have that spunk. I didn't know I had it either, but...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad it made you laugh Jeanne. It was so much fun. I'm still flying from it. Our attitude does change everything and it's the ONLY thing we have total control over!

    Alena, I never said I wasn't crazy! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I wish I could have been there. I love how you live out loud! Thanks for the reminder about my attitude. I want to tell stories with characters who are as creative as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessica, I wish you'd seen her face. That instant when a person realizes they were duped, followed by that, "where's the camera" look. It was classic! It helped HER with her attitude too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Teri, I used to disbelieve that I'm really like this. But after hundreds of wild acts like this one, well, I guess I have to face the fact that I'm a really crazy person!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beth, I was never this way before I met the Ponderers. yeah, right... but at least I have someone to tell my zany stories to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Roxanne, you could just write my life history as a fiction story! lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. Girl, you have moxie. I admire your ability to assimilate into any situation.

    My attitude right now...surface laughter, hidden anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reebs, that's incredible. You are so bold and funny! I wish I could have been there. You need your own reality tv show!

    Attitude right now: tired, is that an attitude?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reebs, how I wish I lived near you. What trouble we could get into! But at least I live near you in heart. Thank goodness for the Ponderers! You bless my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Matthew Sheehy8/27/11, 8:21 PM

    Reebs,

    Will you pick up my tab for a meal at ACFW?

    ReplyDelete