I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, July 22, 2011

Different Levels, Different Devils

Have you ever wondered why things seem to get harder the closer you get to success?

Maybe you've already sold a book or two or three. Yet after each success, there is a fear that it will be your last.

Perhaps you have a friend who use to support you during each brainstorming session or rewriting of your book, but lately they seem distant, even jealous at times.

Spiritual warfare comes in all shapes and sizes and at every level in life.

Joseph’s warfare, from the book of Genesis, came in the form of jealous brothers and then later a jealous husband. He was sold into slavery, falsely accused by a wayward woman, and thrown into prison. All this before he rose above to fulfill the vision God gave to him.

David's spiritual warfare came in the form of a lion and a bear before he ever met Goliath. He was elevated from a shepherd to the king's favorite, only to have the king seek to kill him. Then when he finally became king he had a whole other set of warfare problems. His own son sought his throne and his life. David lost children, wives, friends and yet, until Christ came on the scene, Israel had never know a greater king.

I heard a man, named Kevin Leal, once say, "Different levels, different devils," and that pretty much sums it up. When the Israelites moved in to take new territory they had to conquer the resident armies. That's what we have to do. Conquer the resident armies of the enemy who seek to control the area that God has called us into.

Things may have been going relatively fine before you got published and now that you just sold that book, or your ten-thousandth, ( please, Lord may it be ;) ) suddenly your children are acting up or your spouse seems out of sorts about the way things are. Maybe your friends treat you differently. Let me spell it out for you:

I-T-’S W-A-R-F-A-R-E.

That's right, the enemy is not happy. You are invading his territory with God's truth and that means war.

So what do we do?

The Bible says, "Submit yourselves to God...resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

Sounds easy, but it isn't always. Sometimes it means, putting writing aside for a while and spending time with a loved one. Let God have time to work on their heart. Sometimes it means a season of fasting and prayer. Asking God to know you more intimately, to search your heart (Psalms 139:23-24).

Whatever warfare you are facing, whatever it means for you, one thing is certain. It will surely mean a new submission to God in this newly revealed area of your life. (James 4:7)

As you have walked with the Lord, can you remember a time where you had to submit something to Him and came out victorious on the other side? How about a time when you didn't?

Here's some scriptures to help you during this time. Feel free to add your own:

Psalms 19:14

Psalms 139:23-24

Hebrews 12:11-17, 28

Ephesians 6:10-20

James 1:12

ginger r. takamiya

10 comments:

  1. Terrific post, G!! Love the title--it's so fitting. I believe I'm dealing with a level of spiritual warfare in my life. Seems like the more I try to get this second book completed, the more trials I'm facing.

    Your post is a balm to my spirit. I appreciate your words of wisdom. I'll be thinking about these verses as I go about my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! And...I really needed this today. A light bulb just went off. I've actually had a few of these scenarios happen and I kept thinking, what is going on?

    Thank you for the verses and taking the blinders off this morning to see, I need to be heavier in prayer at this time.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Ginger. Thanks for the scripture references--needed them this morning. Anytime we are walking with God, satan is unhappy and will do anything to thwart our walk...sometimes it's with chaos but sometimes it's by putting good things in our path that distract us from God's best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So appreciate this post, Ginger! Sometimes my biggest struggles are in my thoughts. Your perspective is spot on. I'm glad you included Ps 139:23-24--one of my favorite passages! I'll be pondering your words as I head into the rest of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should have known this post was written by you, Snap. I heard someone say everyone has one predominant message ... and yours always has to do with spiritual matters.
    You are a wise woman, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, you are definitely going through warfare right now. You are a lady who knows how to persevere and battle through and this situation will be no different. Keep moving forward cuz You're gonna win :)

    Pat, Jeanne, Beth, thanks for the encouragement, as always.

    Jessica, what a blessing to read your comment today. I'm always encouraged when I hear how my sisters are breaking through the mire into the light God is providing. We all need to spend time in deep prayer, keeping our eyes on Him.

    Thanks ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Pat, Yeah forgot to tell you, very good point! The enemy can bring what appears to be a "good" thing into our lives to distract us. Always good to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely needed this - thanks!
    Whatever the tactics of the enemy, his goal is always to separate us from our heavenly Father. This is a great reminder to do the opposite. RUN to the Lord - our Fortress, Protector, and Deliverer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. Thank you for sharing. Much food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Sheri. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete