I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, June 3, 2011

Once Upon A Time...


There was a princess. Now this was not an ordinary princess. No, this was a very modern and savvy young lady who knew exactly what she wanted to do with her life. She wanted to be a writer…a published writer, indeed.

She learned the craft and honed her skills, even joined My Book Therapy...She was taught by the best. She entered contests, and paid attention to the critiques, learned what worked and what didn’t.

She queried and went to conferences, made appointments and smiled and nodded, gave editors one-sheets and elevator pitches. She even fetched water and coffee and carried their boxes and boxes of books.

Whew!

All to no avail.

Years passed. She fretted and frayed because no one wanted her book, her precious baby. They sent it back with words like Sorry this does not meet our editorial needs at this time…or loved the hero but your heroine simply didn’t do it for me.

They said her baby was ugly. But she continued to write and learn, made her heroine vulnerable and sassy and her hero noble and true.

After all her appointments and letters had failed, she had all but decided her writing ‘twas not meant to be. And low and behold a note dropped from the sky. ‘Twas from an editor she knew not from Adam, and certainly not an editor she’d queried.

Dear Princess,
Your story I must see for recommendation has come from on high….

She danced and frolicked, then quickly bundled her story and winged it the editor’s way. Oh joy, oh joy, the editor loved her hero…and heroine, too. Soon the princess held her book in her very own hands…

And the moral of this story is...

"Cease striving and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 NASB

Learn the craft, hone your skills, write the best story you know how for an audience of One. And pray. God did not give you a dream to snatch it away. Remember, it’s always in His timing. All we have to do is be ready.

Habakkuk 2:3- "But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed."

Pat Trainum
www.lovefaithandmurder.com
http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/
I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write

18 comments:

  1. What a timely reminder! Sometimes we get so busy doing, we forget to just stop and listen for God. I tend to have emotions like a pendulum - swinging way too high on the yeses and way too low on the nos. Thanks for the reminder to leave it in God's capable hands!

    Congrats on being a Frasier Bronze Medalist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I want to be that princess! Mostly 'cause I like the dress...hehe...well, and, um, 'cause I want someone to love my heroine and hero as much as I do. But seriously, is this princess based on any particular real-life person??

    Fun post, Pat! And I echo Christine's congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute post, Pat. Thanks for reminding me God's timing is perfect. He has plans for my life. Plans to prosper me and not to harm me, plans to give me hope and a future, just as He does for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, I love this post! It truly is timely, just what I needed to hear today. Thanks for the verse too. :) I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, I loved this post. Any author who's ever wanted to be published knows the disappointments of trying to find the editor who loves our story as much as we do. However, it is all in God's timing, and we have to learn to leave our doubts and fears with Him. I know the princess in your post is going to find the right editor (and maybe an agent, too) because I believe in happy endings. I don't know when it will be, but she's going to have her own happily ever after.

    Sandra Robbins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun reminder of waiting and waiting and waiting--and that it's worth the wait! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "An audience of One" So much truth in four words. Really liked this lighthearted but reality-based post, Pat. Thank you! Congratulations also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine, M-Tagg, Roxanne, Jeanne, Sandra, Beth and Flowerlady:A blanket thank you for your comments. And Christine, thanks for the congrats on being a Bronze in the Frasier.

    I loved doing this post. As you've guessed, it is autobiographical and hopefully sometime in the future I can give you a positive update. (Just a teaser. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great reminder of our journey's true purpose! Thanks Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just never know what God has planned, and it might be just around the corner! Just when I gave up on my book, God gave me a publisher for it! And not just any publisher either! And now it's a Christy Award finalist, after getting 32 rejections!

    There is definitely something to be said for "waiting on God" and his timing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed your post! and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle, Maeve, Melanie, & Patricia:

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    Melanie, your story is truly inspiring and what a great book the Healer's Apprentice is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm like that princess!!! But it was a long journey to find my castle. Soon I'll be holding my book in my hands. None of it would have been possible without God. I give Him all the glory. I'm so thankful for the gift He has given me.

    What a fun post, Pat! I look forward to hearing your joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Lisa. I am so excited for you and can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the reminder that His timing is always perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is, isn't it Ava.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pat, I read this before, but my computer was acting up :) I love what you said about writing for an audience of One, especially. Jeremy Camp once said he prayed for God to give him words that bless people's hearts, and God told him just to focus on blessing His heart. The Holy Spirit will do the blessing of others. Like that verse, too :) Hope your day is great! - Jenny

    ReplyDelete