I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, January 10, 2011

A *new* new year...and Isaiah 43:19 again!


I come from a family who shares. Most of the time, that's nice. Like when I'm visiting my parents' house for the weekend and realize I forgot to pack a sweatshirt. I can always count on my little sister to come through for me. Though, always with the caveat: “Don't spill on it!” Does she know me or what?

Only downside to our capacity for sharing: germs. Which lead to sickness. Which leads to me totally blowing all my New Year's Resolutions in one week. 

Yep, I was sick last week, along with half my extended family members who'd gathered over the holiday weekend. Not so delirious I was seeing unicorns dancing in my bedroom or anything, but my fever definitely packed a punch. And those 2011 writing plans, exercise goals, all around be-a-better-person initiatives...must've been off hiding with my immune system.

So here it is, week two of 2011. Already I feel behind. I never even had a chance to try to keep my resolutions!

But thanks to Beth's great post last week, I've got a pretty sweet verse dancing around in my head (where those unicorns would've been if my fever crept a degree higher):

See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. ~Isaiah 43:19.

I love the promise of newness in that verse. Even more, I love the word “now.” God doesn't put a time limit on it. He doesn't say: “It's January 1. New thing time! ” or “I'm doing a new thing, but it's a one chance only deal. You blow it, it's back to old, old, old for you.” He never does that. His promises, mercy and grace are new every morning. They're "now" promises. 

The only thing I have to do? Continually look to Him – whether I'm sick and bemoaning my failed New Year's Resolutions or healthy and energetic and reaching enough goals to make David Beckham jealous. See, later on in that same chapter in Isaiah, God points out that while the wild animals honored God, His own people – the beneficiaries of His mercy, blessing and, heck, a whole country – forgot to call on Him. 

Maybe it's a clumsy comparison, but in place of a country, God's given me – and all of us – a new year. And I believe He's doing new things every day. So my new goal, my one-week-into-the-year resolution, is to see and seek Him each day. And the beautiful thing is, if I mess up, if I forget, my new year can start over anytime. 

Because He's always waiting. 

Because Isaiah 43:19 is true every day of the year.

Melissa Tagg
www.melissatagg.com

13 comments:

  1. Sure wish we lived closer, M-Tagg. Last week was Vertigo-time for me. I felt like Dorothy on her way to Oz--somebody make the house stop twisting and turning, puh-leeze!
    I love how you zeroed in on the word "now" in Isaiah 43:19. Amazing how personal God's Word is.
    Last week as I clung to my bed like a life raft, I whispered my word for 2011: hope. And reminded myself that even in the midst of a whirling-dervish mind, God is my hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that verse and one in Jeremiah: "Call to me and I will tell you great and mighty things which you do not know."

    As another one whose new year didn't get off to a great start, I'm glad God is always there, doing a new thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa,
    I sure enjoyed your post! Thanks for the verse. :) God is always so faithful to us, isn't He? I think I will join you in seeking Jesus daily this year. And, I'll be encouraged, when I miss a day (or two, or three)that He's still going to have a new thing for me when I seek Him. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hope you're feeling better this week, Beth!! Hey, have you ever seen the Alfred Hitchcock movie Vertigo? It doesn't really have anything to do with the actual condition, but it is a sweet movie - Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, that's a great verse, Pat! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, God is amazingly faithful, Jeanne!! I love that about Him...and yeah, I'm feeling a lot better this week. I had a restful weekend, which always helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that verse and felt the tears stinging my eyes. God is speaking. Then He asks, "Do you perceive it?"

    It makes me want to go all Old English and shout, "Yea,Lord, I perceive it!"

    Thank you M'Tagg, I a so touched by this today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how blog posts seem so fitting for a particular time in my life. This one is no exception. Great is His faithfulness...even when we aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you were encouraged, Ginger! You're a dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, Lisa, you're living it, aren't ya! I'm praying you continue to see the awesomeness of God's faithfulness through Patrick's open door tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for reminding me Melissa that God is always there...even when we stumble!
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't get online yesterday, MTagg, but this line blessed and pierced me, like one of God's polished arrows: And the beautiful thing is, if I mess up, if I forget, my new year can start over anytime. Hope you "use that" somewhere, sometime again in your writing.
    Thank you so much, and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for reading, Jennie! And you, too, Delores!

    ReplyDelete