I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, November 5, 2010

Save Your Sanity--Back up Your Files

Photo credit: http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1160562
In February 2008, during the month of love and romance, my heart was broken. One of the most beloved in my life contracted a terrible virus and died. With tears in my eyes, I said goodbye and mourned the loss of my beloved Sid—my Dell laptop.

Hubby bought Sid after I completed my first NaNoWriMo manuscript, and he realized I was serious about this writing business. I think the rest of the family wanted a turn with the family computer. After Sid,  I crossed to the dark side and bought a MacBook that I named Belle.

Computer crashes can cause the users to grieve the loss of their files, including documents, music, and once-in-a-lifetime photos.

A few months prior to Sid’s virus, Camy Tang posted about Mozy online backup service on the ACFW e-mail loop. I checked it out, and then signed up for a monthly subscription. I'm so glad I did. When my Dell crashed, I would've been distraught if I had lost my files.

Backing up my computer is vital for my career. My in-home business files are on it, plus my music, ebooks, and 13,000+ (no exaggeration) photos.

Just as you should scan your computer daily for viruses, backing up your system on a daily basis is vital because you don’t know what could happen. If your computer is stolen, damaged, or crashes, your files are gone unless you have saved them in an alternate format. 

Writers should consider an online storage system for backup because imagine losing finished manuscripts during a power surge or computer crash? Flash drives, CDs, and external hard drives are fine for short-term, but I would recommend something off-site like an online back up service in case of a fire, theft or other tragedy. 

I use Mozy, but there are other online backup services. Check them out and see which one works best for you. And don't forget to back up on a daily basis. After all, aren't your time and career worth the investment?

Taking time to be thankful:
I’m thankful for my hubby, who has worked hard for the past 18 months to earn his business degree. He will graduate with high honors on November 19. We just celebrated 21 years of marriage at the end of October. I am so blessed to be his wife.


The MBT Ponderers have put together a Thankful Basket. If you’d like to have a chance to win our basket of goodies, leave a comment during the month of November. Share a thought about a blog post or tell us what you’re thankful for!

Lisa Jordan
www.lisajordanbooks.com

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and Hubby, Lisa. Good post. I know I need & also recommend more back-up, am not expert w/ what I do have. Now I have Dropbox too but need to figure out how to use.
    Blessings to you and Hubby, new good job for him, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Practical, practical, practical! Thanks, LJ!
    And congratulations on 21 years--and congratulations to your hubby on his upcoming graduation!
    Today I'm thankful that's it's Friday--and that I can look back on a week of getting things done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, LJ. What a good reminder for this, uh, yes, sometimes very flighty writer...

    I've actually been uploading all my files lately to Google Docs. It's a nice easy way to save and have access to them...unless Google combusts someday I can know they're safe. Every once in awhile I also just email all my WIP files to myself. But where Mozy and Dropbox, etc, come in really handy is backing up EVERYTHING - photos, videos, docs all the things you mentioned...smart smart. Must employ this smartness...

    A late congrats to you and your husband on 21 years together and an early congrats to your hubby on his graduation!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee, thanks for your congrats. He's a good guy...I'll keep him. :) I'm still trying to figure out Dropbox too. What I like about Mozy is I can configure the settings, schedule daily backups, and not worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, I'm thankful it's Friday too. :D Now that my writing to-do list has whittled down to a manageable size, my muse has come out of hiding. Hopefully I'll get some writing done this weekend, along with everything else I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MTagg, that's what I like about Mozy--it backs up EVERYTHING. Now that I've gotten into digital scrapbooking, it backs up those precious files too.

    Mozy saved me from having heart failure when my Dell crashed.

    Thanks for the congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, Beth, I didn't mean to be rude. Thanks for the congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Mozy, too. One less thing to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the practical advice, Lisa! I've been backing up my writing on a thumb drive, but Beth just introduced me to DropBox. So, I'm going to figure out how to use that. Your post lit a fire under me. I can see more clearly the importance of an "offsite" on-line place to store back up files. Congratulations on your anniversary! May the Lord contiue to draw your hearts closer to Him and to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great posts, Lisa and congratulations on your anniversary...and your husband's graduation.

    A couple of years ago I sat down at my desk and heard a tick...tick...tick...called my computer guy and he said, "uh, oh, sounds like the tick of death." It was.

    I thought I was backing up my computer every day but I found out the program had quit working three months before. So now I email my WIP to myself every night. Think I'll check out Mozy. Thanks for all the good info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an important tip to remember. I've lost files before. Gone with the wind. Into cyberspace. The black hole, never to be seen or heard from again.

    Thanks for the reminder LJ. Now where did I put that last chapter? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I backed up my files this morning after a scare last night. It always takes a freak-out for me to remember to back things up. :-)

    ReplyDelete