I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Reflections


November is always a time of reflection for me. A time when I look back over the past year and see where I am as a writer. A time to be thankful.

This past year something happened that changed my writing life. When I attended the Georgia Romance Writers’ Moonlight and Magnolias conference in October of 2009, I ran into Debby Guisti, a Harlequin Love Inspired Suspense author. She’d presented me with the 2008 Maggie in the unpublished Inspirational category, and she asked about my writing.

I’m not sure she’ll ever ask anyone else that question. As I bent her ear, telling her my frustration at trying to figure out what was wrong with my book, she patted my arm and told me to get in touch with Susan May Warren. That Susan could help me understand what I needed to do. I came home with a mission.

I checked out Susan’s website, mybooktherapy.com, and the first thing I saw were the words: So, you’re writing a book. Would you like some help? I fired off an email to Susan and subsequently met her and the great community of writers at My Book Therapy. My writing life hasn’t been the same. My regular life, either.

Susan, aka Susie, recently won Mentor of the Year at the ACFW conference in Indianapolis. She has a heart for teaching writers how to be better writers. Most Monday nights will find her on line at MBT Chats, sharing her knowledge with the My Book Therapy Voices. Monday Night Chats are open to all members of the Voices, so if you’re not a member, you might want to think about joining. Click here to learn more. You’ll find dedicated writers, sweet spirits, and a group eager to help others learn.

A few topics Susie’s covered in Monday night chats:
• How create characters that readers will care about
• How to create their story world
• Word painting
• Discovering the push/pull in a scene
• How to write the dreaded synopsis

So, if you’re struggling in your writing or you simply want to be around other writers, come on over to the Voices; join us on Monday nights or take part in the discussion forums. I’m thankful I did.

Pat Trainum
www.lovefaithandmurder.com
I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write

Taking time to be thankful:

I am so thankful that God gave me this wonderful gift of writing, and then put me into the community of writers at MBT. Their prayers and encouragement have made all the difference.

The MBT Ponderers have put together a Thankful Basket. If you'd like to have a chance to win our basket of goodies, leave a comment during the month of November. Share a thought about a blog post or tell us what you're thankful for!

9 comments:

  1. Pat, so glad you wrote this, and that Debby Guisti, gave you that good advice (so we can know, love, and ponder/partner with you, too.) Full steam ahead as you experience forward motion toward breakthrough success. And GORGEOUS photo. I've been to an estate in N. Ireland that looks uncannily like this, swans and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, what a great post, Pat! You say that your writing life hasn't been the same since you joined My Book Therapy, and I echo that sentiment wholeheartedly. And I love that other authors are talking up Susie and My Book Therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to everything you wrote, Pat.
    Roxanne Sherwood introduced me to Susie May at the 2009 ACFW conference. I attended my first MBT Pizza Party that night--and I've never looked back! Went to the first Storycrafters retreat a few months later.
    Susie deserved the 2010 ACFW Mentor's award--she embodies the heart of a mentor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, lovely photo, but the post is even more beautiful! When I met Susie in 2005, I didn't realize God was strapping me in for a wild ride. It's the kind you want to do over and over again. I'm so blessed to call you friend, Pat. You are a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, very belated congrats on winning the Maggie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. It was in 2008 and the book has changed so much since then. lol I truly enjoy each and every Ponderer. You each bring something unique to the goup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat, the first thing I did when I saw the photo with your post was sigh in wonder at the beauty of God's color scheme. :) Having just returned from the SC retreat, I couldn't agree more with what you said. Among other things, I am thanking God for giving me the privilege of sitting under Susie's teaching and learning so much about writing craft so early in my venture into this art. It's neat to hear how others have been affected and changed by a heart that desires to mentor and encourage. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'm completely overwhelmed by this post! Thank you so much for your kind words, Pat! I am on the way to the airport (going on vaca with the hubby!) and your words are like a treasure to bring with me. I am so thrilled at what God is doing with your writing. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete