I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, August 27, 2010

Notepads in the Shower

Can anyone tell me why my best writing ideas come when I'm lathered in soap and shampoo? Honestly, I've butchered my legs each time a terrific idea came to mind in the middle of shaving. 



The answer is simple, really. When we're away from all the interruptions vying for our attention, when our only worries are keeping the suds out of our eyes and washing off the trail dust, our well of creativity is allowed to bubble up to the surface. 



It’s in the quiet pitter-patter of the water droplets on porcelain that our imagination ignites. The possibilities are endless. So why not keep note pads in the shower? I know what you're thinking, "What! Is she crazy??" Umm ... yes, but this isn't about me. It's about your contribution of brilliance to the world of writing.



Perhaps wet, slimy paper isn't the solution to your creative dilemma and I'm sure your snazzy new laptop would meet an untimely end. A great alternative is to talk about it. I mean have conversations with yourself. Right out loud in the shower! Write your visions upon the tables of your heart through your words spoken to yourself. Oh, do keep a pencil and paper handy so you can write your ideas down as soon as you've dripped dry.

The greatest prose in history came from a thought of while somebody was in the shower. Some people sing. If that's you, great! For me, I'd just be able to make a joyful noise. However you decide to get the message out to your listening self, make sure you do. 



As you converse with yourself, your wonderful story ideas will take on life. Tell you about your wonderful idea while you're sudsing up. Take it from me, once that idea evaporates, there are few chances of getting it back. Don't throw your brilliance out with the bath water.

Remember, your literary contributions are far too valuable to go down the drain!



Reba J. Hoffman


Don't forget to check out our contest for a chance to win the PJ Sugar series by Susan May Warren.

16 comments:

  1. So fun to have you posting on the Ponderers blog--finally!! And did you know there are waterproof notepads for the shower, Reebs?
    http://www.myaquanotes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I never even made it to the shower this morning. Had a brief window for showering while the husband was home, and before daughter left for school (I'm a stay-at-home-mom/writer). After heading upstairs to shower, I hit the toilet first, and had an epiphany. Ran to laptop to frantically type notes. Never got in the shower. But the notes got taken! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reba, I love how we think we're doing mindless chores, only our brains begin solving our problems. Fantastic! I hadn't thought to talk out loud when I'm not able to write something down. I'll try it. Thanks.

    Jennifer, It's good to know you've got your priorities straight. I'm sure you'll have a shower later. Great that you've captured those ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were just talking about this at critique group last week! My makeshift white board really didn't work too well...the moisture prevented the marker from working and then it fell down! There's got to be a way...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friends, I have the answer: bathtub markers! They make 'em for kids. Washable, obviously, and in pretty colors. Don't know where you find them, though (other than my cousins' bathroom)...

    Reebs, I'm so glad you've joined the blogging realm! Especially loved this line: Don't throw your brilliance out with the bath water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found them!

    http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toys-52606390-Rub-Draw/dp/B00004U3FX/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1282915009&sr=8-3

    And here:

    http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toys-52606390-Rub-Draw/dp/B00004U3FX/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1282915009&sr=8-3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, gave you two of the same links. Here's the second one:

    http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Bathtub-Crayons/dp/B000096Q6Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1282915109&sr=8-4

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! The same thing happens to me! All the time. I have notepads by my bed, in my purse, next to my computer...now I can have one in the shower!

    So great to have you here Reebs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I do the same thing -- every time I get stuck...I take a shower! Love the marker idea - thanks Melissa! Great post, Reebs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, I'm asking for bathtub markers for Christmas! Great idea M-Tagg.

    Reebs, so happy to see you on the Ps, posting! I love reading your writing, but not as much as I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh.... know what's better than notepads in the shower? Notes from My Ponderer friends! I've missed you ladies! I'm finally BACK!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are definitely so clever and funny--an absolute delight. Anything you write will rollicking humor, and we're so glad you're one of us! Wonderful blessings to you as you bless so many others!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your quote:
    "Write your visions upon the tables of your heart through your words spoken to yourself."
    I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten wonderful ideas because I couldn't write them down at that moment. Speaking the words will surely (hopefully?) aid my failing memory! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reba, I loved your post! I, too, find my story talking to me when I shower (and when I lay my head down to sleep at night, but that's a different topic). I had never thought about talking to myself aloud in the shower! My husband may think I'm going crazy, but I think it's worth it to remember a great idea! :) I'm going to have to ponder which method for eventually getting the ideas from head and heart to paper will work best in the mornings (shower markers, talking aloud, or some as yet unthought of idea). Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :) I sure enjoyed reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Notepads in the shower. Amazing. My best time is when I first wake up...everythings seems so crystal clear then. Then it gets fuzzy before I can get to the computer. Seriously though, I love the way you string words together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this post! Now, if I could just find the time to actually take a long bath without hearing kids running through the house. Hmmmm...it would do wonders for my mind. LOL.

    ReplyDelete